Saturday, February 7, 2009

Wow! What a day trip

About an hour north of Houston lays the beautiful Huntsville State Park. It is my favorite place to go and relax whenever I have a few hours.

The park is located off I-45 just south of Huntsville, and is a nature lover’s paradise. To get there travel north on I-45 and take the exit for Hwy 40 about 20 minutes north of Conroe. Turn left and follow the road to the park entrance. There is an entry fee depending on your needs and plans. I just get a day trip entry for $4.00

Nestled among the tall trees is a lake surrounded by picnic cabins and camping sites. There is a 25 mile long and winding trail that weaves through the forest providing you with not only an opportunity to hike but a serene and beautiful way to connect with nature.

The lake provides a chance to get out there and do some fishing. There are canoes, kayaks and row boats that you can rent to just relax and enjoy the breeze amidst the water that is cool and serene. You can use the built in BBQ pits to enjoy a good picnic lunch.

I drove up there Friday to reconnect with nature and do some soul searching and grounding with the Source. Even though I didn’t have much time, it seems I never do, the trip was well worth the rejuvenation and recharging of the batteries, and there was an added surprise there in store for me which I never would have imagined.

When we got there, we found a group of people preparing for an event. I learned that they are having a foot race on Saturday. It is an annual event. There are runners in 50 miles and 100 miles categories. A 100 miles trek on foot? Yup. Wow! That is like running four marathons. Too bad I won’t be able to attend the event this year.

But that wasn’t the real surprise. As we were talking to the organizers trying to gather more information, someone said hey we ordered pizza and we need someone to go pick them up from town. Before I knew it, my partner volunteered our services for the job. The lady said, “Oh really? You don’t mind? Thank you so much.” And handed us a credit card and gave us directions on how to find the Pizza Hut in Huntsville.

I am always thrilled to be of service, and the opportunities always show up, but it was refreshing to see people trusting total strangers with their credit card. I know, in today’s cynical world, we are told never to do that and it is foolish to do that, but it reinforced my belief that people are generally good and there are more people who feel that way.

When I thanked the lady for trusting us with her credit card, she just shrugged and said, “I’d rather do that than living the other way around.” What a genuine way to live.

Take a day off and head on north. You will be glad when you come back, I promise you.

For more info:

Huntsville State Park : 936-295-5644 Website

Rocky Raccoon Trail Hike: Website

No comments:

Post a Comment