Monday, January 26, 2009

Dream on till your dreams come true - Aerosmith

This trip was an eye opener in many ways. First and foremost, I realized that I live my dream in small bits and pieces till I get to the point where I can just live it everyday. Second I had the first hand experience of the joy that being in the moment brings. Third, it opened up a plethora of ideas of how I can "have my cake and eat it too." But most importantly, it confirmed for me that when you take the first step toward your dream, the Universe takes ten steps to make it more real.

As I got off the exit at FM 1696, I asked myself, do I go east or west? The inner voice suggested west, but looking eastward I found the road more inviting, so I turned east. I must have gone maybe a couple miles when the two lane paved road turned into a one lane gravel road. I traveled another five miles down the gravel road and in the fifteen minutes or so it took me to go that far, I met just one other vehicle coming from the other side. I finally turned around and headed west and into the setting sun.

The next twenty minutes or so are just as vivid in my memory now as they were when I was lost in the beauty of the moment. Then suddenly I noticed the gas gauge which was getting alarmingly low and I realized that I had not seen any civilization in the past twenty minutes and as far as I can see there was none. I took solace in the fact that I had seen a sign somewhere announcing the existence of a town somewhere up ahead.

When I reached the township of Bedias, TX, my solace was giving way to despair. It was apparent that I was on the Main St, which was not only the main street, but it seemed like the only street in town. There were no other streets branching off or intersecting it. In less than two minutes, I was at the edge of town with no gas stations in sight. Wild Bill's Steak House caught my attention. I thought let me go find out if where the nearest gas station is from these people. When I got to the door, there was a sign that announced that the restaurant was closed, but the front door was ajar, so I peeked in and hollered Hello? A man appeared from another room and came to the door. It turned out that the gas station was just around the corner. Thank God!

Wild Bill and I got to talking. Turns out, he is building another restaurant in Madisonville, just up the road and plans to move. He has the restaurant, an adjacent store front and two Apartments, one of two bedrooms and another of one bedroom, all located on the same property and decorated with nostalgic paintings on the wall and paraphernalia from years gone by, for sale as a package. I was excited, as have spent many years in restaurant industry. He gave me a grand tour of the property, and told me about his passion for cooking and his wife's passion for painting and photography, and how she used those two passions to turn the property into a nostalgic dream come true.

I got so involved in talking with Wild Bill about his passion, and dreaming about my own passion that I missed the sunset, which I was so looking forward to. But hey, the adrenalin boost I got from this "chance" meeting was so powerful that I'd gladly give up a few sunsets for it. After all, sunset happens everyday; but you don't meet someone who is living his dream and whose infectious passion is powerful that it makes your own passion blossom a little more.

I am so grateful that I took this trip and met up with Wild Bill. It has practically changed my life in a few short hours. Take the first step in the direction of your dreams and Universe will move your dreams ten steps toward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment